Released on May 11, it's his first solo LP in six years
Ry Cooder will release a new album, The Prodigal Son, on May 11. It’s his first solo album since 2012’s Election Special.
Hear the lead track “Shrinking Man” below:
Recorded in Hollywood, the album features songs by the Pilgrim Travelers, The Stanley Brothers and Blind Willie Johnson, as well as three Ry Cooder originals.
Peruse the full tracklisting here:
1. Straight Street (James W. Alexander/Jesse Whitaker)
2. Shrinking Man (Ry Cooder)
3. Gentrification (Ry Cooder/Joachim Cooder)
4. Everybody Ought To Treat A Stranger Right (Traditional; Blind Willie Johnson, Arr. by Ry Cooder)
5. The Prodigal Son (Traditional: Arranged by Ry Cooder/Joachim Cooder)
6. Nobody’s Fault But Mine (Blind Willie Johnson/Arranged Ry Cooder/Joachim Cooder)
7. You Must Unload (Alfred Reed)
8. I’ll Be Rested When The Roll Is Called (Traditional; Blind Roosevelt Graves, Arranged by Ry Cooder)
9. Harbor Of Love (Carter Stanley)
10. Jesus And Woody (Ry Cooder)
11. In His Care (William L. Dawson)
The April 2018 issue of Uncut is now on sale in the UK – with Joni Mitchell on the cover. Elsewhere in the issue, we pay tribute to Mark E Smith and there are new interviews with The Breeders, Josh T Pearson, Brett Anderson, The Decemberists, Chris Robinson and many more. We also look at the legacy of Rick Hall’s FAME Studios. Our free 15-track CD features 15 tracks of this month’s best new music, featuring Graham Coxon, Gwenno, Guided By Voices, Jonathan Wilson, David Byrne, Tracey Thorn, The Low Anthem and Mélissa Laveaux.
Uncut: the past, present and future of great music.