Marketed under the slogan ‘the music that matters to him’, it is the third release in Starbuck’s ‘Artist’s Choice’ series and follows similar compilations by Joni Mitchell and Elvis Costello.
Available in Starbucks outlets from February 26, the tracklist reflects the broad tastes Dylan has shown in his Theme Time Radio Hour show, with a heavy bias towards the blues, country, jazz and r&b singers he heard on the radio while growing up in Minnesota.
Costello and Mitchell supplied track-by-track notes to their selections, explaining what the songs meant to them. It is not yet clear whether Dylan has written similar notes to accompany his choices.
Meanwhile, Ace Records is releasing a two CD set ”Theme Time Radio Hour
With Your Host Bob Dylan”, containing 50 tracks from the show. There have been several similar compilations – including Uncut’s own ”Radio Bob” CD in August 2007 – but the Ace collection is the first to be officially authorised by Dylan and is co-produced by his manager Jeff Rosen.
Here is the full track listing of Dylan’s ”Artist’s Choice”
1. Pee Wee Crayton – Do Unto Others
2. Clancy Eccles – Don’t Brag, Don’t Boast
3. Stanley Brothers with The Clinch Mountain Boys – The Fields Have Turned
4. Gus Viseur – Flambée Montalbanaise
5. Red Prysock – Hand Clappin’
6. Sol Hoopii & His Novelty Quartette – I Like You
7. Ray Price – I’ll Be There (If You Ever Want Me)
8. Stuff Smith & His Onyx Club Boys – I’se A Muggin’ (part 1)
9. Charley Jordan – Keep It Clean
10. Junior Wells – Little By Little (I’m Losing You)
11. Patty & The Emblems – Mixed-Up, Shook-Up Girl
12. Gétatchéw Kassa – Tezeta
13. Flaco Jiménez with Toby Torres & José Morante – Victimas De Huracan
14. Wanda Jackson – I Gotta Know
15. Billy Holiday & Her Orchestra – I Hear Music
16. Junior Parker – Pretty Baby
Dylan Compiles CD For Starbucks
Uncut.co.uk reveals the tracklisting