The documentary is re-released in November
A special edition of DA Pennebaker‘s documentary Dont Look Back is to debut in November, with a number of new extra features.
Pennebaker’s documentary of Bob Dylan’s 1965 solo acoustic tour was first released in cinemas in 1967.
This new edition from the Criteron Collection features more extras than have been included in previous releases.
Examiner reports that the upcoming Blu-Ray and DVD editions will each feature a new digital transfer, improved audio and new artwork, as well as interview with Patti Smith about the influence of the film.
The release date for this new edition is November 24, 2015. You can pre-order it by clicking here.
The new content for this edition are:
* New, restored 4K digital transfer, approved by Pennebaker, with newly restored monaural sound from the original quarter-inch magnetic masters, presented uncompressed on the Blu-ray
* New documentary about the evolution of Pennebaker’s filming style, from his 1950s avant-garde work to his ’60s musical documentaries, including an excerpt from the filmmaker’s footage of Dylan performing “Ballad Of A Thin Man” during his 1966 electric tour
* New conversation between Pennebaker and tour manager Bob Neuwirth about their work together, from Dont Look Back through Monterey Pop (1967) and beyond
* New interview with Patti Smith about Dylan and the influence of Dont Look Back in her life
* Snapshots from the Tour, a new piece featuring outtakes from Dont Look Back
* Conversation between Greil Marcus and Pennebaker from 2010
* An essay by critic and poet Robert Polito
* New cover by Eric Skillman
Extras that have appeared on previous DVD and Blu-ray editions:
* Audio commentary from 1999 featuring Pennebaker and Bob Neuwirth
* 65 Revisited, a 2006 documentary> directed by Pennebaker and edited by Walker Lamond
* Audio excerpt from an interview with Bob Dylan in the 2005 documentary No Direction Home, cut to previously unseen outtakes from Dont Look Back
* Daybreak Express (1953), Baby (1954), and Lambert & Co. (1964), three short films by Pennebaker
* Alternate version of the film’s “Subterranean Homesick Blues” cue card sequence
* Five uncut audio tracks of Dylan songs from the film
Meanwhile, Dylan is due to play a number of UK tour dates in October, including three nights at London’s Royal Albert Hall.
He will play:
October 21; Royal Albert Hall, London
October 22; Royal Albert Hall, London
October 23; Royal Albert Hall, London
October 27: 02 Apollo, Manchester
October 28; 02 Apollo, Manchester
October 29; Motorpoint Arena, Cardiff
Dylan last played the Albert Hall in November 2013. Click here to read the Uncut review.
The History Of Rock – a brand new monthly magazine from the makers of Uncut – a brand new monthly magazine from the makers of Uncut – is now on sale in the UK. Click here for more details.
Meanwhile, the September 2015 issue of Uncut is on sale in the UK on Tuesday, July 28 – featuring David Gilmour, a free Grateful Dead CD, Bob Dylan and the Newport Folk Festival, AC/DC, Killing Joke, the Isley Brothers, Julien Temple, Ryley Walker and more.
Uncut: the spiritual home of great rock music.