According to a report in London’s Evening Standard last night [September 2], David Bowie is reluctant to make his long-awaited live comeback because he is experiencing nerves over the prospect of returning to the stage.
Earlier in the day, representatives working for Bowie have said the singer still has “no current plans” to perform live following reports he has been offered a multi-million pound deal to play in London next year.
Live Nation reportedly offered Bowie a lucrative deal to play live at the Olympic Park in East London in 2014. The tabloid reports that the company has close links with Bowie’s tour agent John Giddings and are confident of securing a deal. Rival promoters AEG are also expected to lodge an offer with Hyde Park likely to be their venue of choice.
However, asked to confirm the reports of the offer, a spokesperson for David Bowie told NME: “There are currently no plans for any live dates.”
Earlier this year Michael Eavis has said that he is sure Bowie could headline Glastonbury again. The singer is being tipped to play the 2014 event, having previously headlined the festival in 1971 and 2000.
Eavis said: “The younger ones sort out most of the music, but I like to book the headline names…I can’t tell you at the moment who that will be as we’re still talking to people. David’s done it a couple of times before but I’m sure he could come back again.”