Noddy Holder to earn £800,000 this year from Slade's "Merry Xmas Everybody"
Noddy Holder is set to earn £800,000 this year from Slade's festive 1973 hit, "Merry Xmas Everybody".
The track is top of the Christmas song list when it comes to pulling in the royalties, with The Pogues in second place, set to earn £520,000 by the end of the year from "Fairytale Of New York" and Mariah Carey in third, as she is likely to make £455,000 from "All I Want For Christmas Is You" in 2013.
The cash will come from PRS royalties, which stack up through radio, television, jukebox and shop plays as well as compilation album sales, reports Prezzybox.com. See how much the Top 10 festive tracks have earned so far this year below.
1. Slade – 'Merry Xmas Everybody' £512,000
2. Pogues – Fairytale Of New York' £386,270
3. Mariah Carey – 'All I Want For Christmas Is You' £347,615
4. Wham – 'Last Christmas' £301,622
5. Cliff Richard – 'Mistletoe & Wine' £98,408
6. Band Aid – 'Do they Know It’s Christmas' £78,030
7. Shakin' Stevens – 'Merry Christmas Everyone' £53,834
8. Pretenders – '2000 Miles' £45,344
9. East 17 – 'Stay Another Day' £30,219
10. John Lewie – 'Stop The Calvary' £13,258
Visit our dedicated features section, with plenty of our best long pieces archived there. You can find it here.