David Arnold at the helm for Dame's first new studio album for 20 years
Award winning composer David Arnold has produced Dame Shirley Bassey‘s first studio album of new material for more than 20 years – and there’s a host of celebrity artist writing credits on ‘The Performance’.
Rufus Wainwright contributes a song called “Apartment”, while Manic Street Preachers have contibuted “The Girl From Tiger Bay”, and Pet Shop Boys close the new album with “The Performance Of My Life”.
Richard Hawley, David McAlmont, KT Tunstall and Take That‘s Gary Barlow have also penned lyrics for Bassey.
Talking about 72-year old Shirley Bassey‘s voice, Arnold has said in a press statement: “All these songs were just songs, until Dame Shirley Bassey sang them. There’s something about a Bassey performance that can knock the wind out of your sails, make you laugh, make you cry, let you in on the joke or be led to a more exotic place.”
The Diamonds Are Forever title track, which Bassey sang in 1971, composers John Barry and Don Black have also reunited for The Performance, with a new track called “Our Time Is Now”.
Dame Shirley Bassey’s The Performance track listing is:
- “Almost There” (Tom Baxter)
- “Apartment” (Rufus Wainwright)
- “This Time” (Gary Barlow)
- “I Love You” (Nick Hodgson)
- “Our Time Is Now” (John Barry/ Don Black)
- “As God Is My Witness” (David Arnold/ David McAlmont)
- “No Good About Goodbye” (David Arnold/ Don Black)
- “The Girl From Tiger Bay” (Manic Street Preachers)
- “Nice Men” (KT Tunstall)
- “After The Rain” (Richard Hawley)
- “The Performance Of My Life” (Pet Shop Boys)
The Performance is out on November 9.
More Uncut.co.uk music and film news