New Scottish artist compilation covers 1980 - 2007
A new compilation “Thank You For Being You,” of Scottish independent music from 1980 to the present day is to be released through Electric Honey, the label set up by students at Glasgow’s Stow College, in May.
The unique compilation, named after a ’93 single by The Pastels, includes Belle & Sebastian, Teenage Fanclub, Josef K, Fire Engines and Future Pilot AKA.
The celebration of Scottish indepent labels begins with the first flourishes of post-punk activity from the legendary Postcard and Fast Product/Pop Aural labels, through to the present with labels Chemikal Underground and Geographic.
Belle & Sebastian released their limited edition ’96 debut album, ‘Tigermilk’, through Stow College’s Electric Honey label.
Only 1,000 of the album were cut, with the vinyl – only release selling out before being deleted, still causing a bidding frenzy on eBay whenever a copy appears.
The record labels Electric Honey, Gdansk, and Root8 are run by students on Glasgow’s Stow College HND Music Business course.
While running the labels, the students gain invaluable knowledge and experience of the machinations of the music industry, covering all aspects from legal, artistic, to promotion.
Tutored by Douglas MacIntyre, head of the Creeping Bent Organisation, itself an influential independent label over the last ten years, the course covers many grounds…culturally, musically and socially, making Electric Honey possibly the most successful student-run label in the world.
The tracklisting is as follows:
1. Belle & Sebastian – “She’s Losing It” (Electric Honey)
2. Teenage Fanclub – “Fallen Leaves” (Pema)
3. Josef K – “It’s Kinda Funny” (Postcard circa 1980)
4. King Creosote – “King Bubbles In Sand” (Fence)
5. The Delgados- “Monica Webster” (Chemikal Underground)
6. Fire Engines- “Get Up & Use Me” (Codex / Fast / Pop Aural)
7. The Pastels – “The Viaduct” (Domino/Geographic)
8. Frank Blake – “Any Way The Wind Blows” (Shoeshine)
9. The Nectarine No9 – “Saint Jack” (Postcard circa 1995)
10. Future Pilot AKA – “Eyes of Love” (Creeping Bent)
11. Bill Wells Trio – “Singleton” (Geographic)
12. How To Swim – “Logical Man” (Electric Honey)