Amy Winehouse died from excessive alcohol consumption, coroner rules
Amy Winehouse died of excessive alcohol consumption, having consumed enough alcohol on the day of her death to render her more than four-and-a-half times over the drink drive limit, an inquest has heard.
The inquest, which took place today (October 26) at St Pancras Coroners Court, has recorded that the singer's death was as a result of "misadventure", reports BBC News.
St Pancras coroner Suzanne Greenway, who conducted the hearing, said: "She [Winehouse] had consumed sufficient alcohol at 416mg per decilitre (of blood) and the unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels was her sudden and unexpected death."
Three empty vodka bottles, two large and one small, were found at her house in Camden, resulting in the singer's blood containing 416mg of alcohol per 100ml. The legal drink-drive limit is 80mg.
Reports earlier today had suggested that the 'Back To Black' singer, who passed away in July at the age of 27, had died as a seizure from alcohol withdrawal, but the inquest has now said it was in fact excessive consumption of alcohol.
It was initially thought in the days after Winehouse's death in July that the singer had died of a drug overdose, but this was formally ruled out earlier in the summer after results from the toxicology report found "no illegal substances" in Winehouse's system.
An inquiry into how a report which outlined the circumstances surrounding Winehouse's death was sent to a member of the public by mistake is now underway, police have said.
Uncut have teamed up with Sonic Editions to curate a number of limited-edition framed iconic rock photographs, featuring the likes of Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan and The Clash. View the full collection here.